The Mokihinui-Lyell Backcountry Trust is a registered charitable trust (number 2149528), and was incorporated in July 2008.
The Trust is a true local grassroots initiative. Current Trustees (as of May 2016) are:
- Adam Walker – outdoor enthusiast and co-owner – MBC Environmental Ltd;
- Anne Brewster – Outdoors-lover, cyclist and COO – Stevenson Mining and Engineering;
- Glenn Irving – outdoor enthusiast and General Manager – Buller Recreation Ltd;
- Ian Harvey – outdoor enthusiast and Principal Mining Engineer – Golder Associates;
- Jan Coll – governance enthusiast and Westport business owner;
- Marion Boatwright – musician, entrepreneur, Lodge owner and outdoor enthusiast;
- Paul Scanlon – outdoor and tourism enthusiast and Westport business owner and contractor;
- Phil Rossiter (Chairman) – outdoor enthusiast and Sustainable Development Manager – Solid Energy;
- Phoebe Lawton (Treasurer/Secretary) – community servant and Operations Manager, Buller Recreation Ltd; and
- Wayne Pratt – logistics specialist and owner/operator of Helicharter Karamea.